Low and Slow Huevos Rancheros
We love Mexican food, especially for breakfast. My slow cooker version of a favorite, huevos rancheros, is rolled into flour tortillas. It's a perfect way to serve a breakfast crowd. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours + standing
- 1/2 pound fresh chorizo
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 20 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- Fresh chopped cilantro and additional salsa, optional
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo, onion, pepper, jalapeno and garlic, over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until cooked through, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer mixture to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in next five ingredients.
- Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender and eggs are set, 3-1/2-4 hours. Turn off slow cooker; remove insert. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with tortillas. If desired, top with cilantro and additional salsa.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 488 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 192mg cholesterol, 1028mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Low and Slow Huevos Rancheros in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.