- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 bottles (750 milliliters each) dry red wine
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Place cinnamon sticks and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine remaining ingredients. Add spice bag. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until heated through. Discard spice bag. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Hot Spiced Wine
"Delicious! I took the advice of the previous reviewer and used Apothic Red Wine. I also cut the recipe in half, since it would only be me and my husband drinking it. The first sip was a little tart, but after that it only got better. Because my slow cooker cookes hotter than most, I only put it on low for 3 hours, then turned it to warm."
"Oh my goodness! This is an amazing recipe! I used Apothic Red Wine which is a blend of red wines. I bought it at Target. I also added a teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and allspice. I placed them in a coffee filter bag, so none of the spices would escape! Delicious! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!"