Homemade Coleslaw Dressing Recipe
Some cooked dressings can be heavy and overly sweet, especially if they contain cream, but this one isn't. This recipe dates back to 1942. Jewel Kiswer, Cartersville, Georgia
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk the sugar, salt, mustard, paprika and egg yolks until smooth. Gradually whisk in water and vinegar. Cook and stir over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Place the cabbage in a bowl; add dressing and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Homemade Coleslaw Dressing in Country Extra July 2005, p49
Reviews for Homemade Coleslaw Dressing(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review