- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Place rice in a 5-qt. slow cooker; set aside seasoning packet. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil and butter. Add to slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms until tender; place over chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the soup, water, bacon, herbs and contents of seasoning packet. Pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Herbed Chicken with Wild Rice
Sort By :
"We had this for dinner tonight. It was SO good. I browned the chicken in a Tbls of the bacon fat and then followed that with the mushrooms when the chicken was done. I didn't have the dried tarragon, but it had a ton of flavor. I also used 4 large chicken breasts instead of the 6. I have 2 kids that are not mushroom fans, but they ate them mixed in with everything else. Highly recommend."
"I love this recipe! I have made this recipe many times, and I change little. I do add a little extra wild rice to the rice mix... just plain wild rice by itself, because I like it. I add about 1/4 cup. I decrease the water to 3/4 cup as I prefer al dente rice ... found it a little mushy with a whole cup. I don't always add tarragon. But it's a great recipe!"
"This recipe was amazing! Next time I will just add a little more liquid. It did cook up in less time for me tho."
"UPDATE: I made this using Zatarain's Long Grain and Wild Rice mix instead of Uncle Ben's and I don't recommend that you use Zatarain's. it was a little too salty and the wild rice was crunchier than I like so I'll be sure to buy Uncle Ben's brand for this recipe in the future. Again, I used about 1/4 cup more liquid than the recipe calls for. We liked this a lot. The rice wasn't mushy after 5 hours. Maybe the others have the slow cookers that cook too hot. I did have to add more liquid in the form of chicken broth, but that was the only change I made."
"I would give this 5 stars but once again they are "missing". Very good, didn't find it too salty at all and I never salt anything other than popcorn and french fries. Chicken was moist and rice was done. Excellent flavor."