I've been making this sweet and spicy sandwich filling for 35 years. It smells as good as it tastes! It's a great reward for a hungry family after a day working or playing outdoors. —Elaine Krupsky, Las Vegas, Nevada
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 large green peppers, sliced
- 2 large sweet red peppers, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 sandwich rolls, split
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place a third of the onions and peppers in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining vegetables. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. With a slotted spoon, serve about 1 cup of meat and vegetables on each roll. Top with cheese if desired. Use pan juices for dipping if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Italian Sandwiches in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p45
Reviews for Hearty Italian Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review