Hearty Italian Sandwiches Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 large green peppers, sliced
- 2 large sweet red peppers, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 sandwich rolls, split
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place a third of the onions and peppers in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining vegetables. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. With a slotted spoon, serve about 1 cup of meat and vegetables on each roll. Top with cheese if desired. Use pan juices for dipping if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Hearty Italian Sandwiches(4)
Sort By :
With the great reviews I was expecting more. This was bland. Horribly bland. My husband smothered his in BBQ sauce. What a waste of expensive ingredients. I'll probably drain the liquid off, add spaghetti sauce and have it over pasta just so I don't have to throw it away.
made this recipe for a b-day party everyone loved it....
My whole family loves these sandwiches and it is a great recipe to double and then freeze to use later.
My husband loved this! When we ran out of buns, we just put it over rice or pasta.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Dinners >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Sandwiches >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Sandwich Recipes >