Cathy Smith of Amarillo, Texas shares a stick-to-the-ribs family pleaser. “Chunky and cheesy, this rich creamy soup is simply wonderful during cold winter months,” she notes. TASTY TIP: If your family prefers a “Cheeseburger Soup” flavor, substitute lean ground beef for the ground turkey.
Recommended: Classic Homemade Soup Recipes
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- In a nonstick skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the potatoes, broth, carrots, celery, salt, basil, parsley and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; add the cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Hearty Cheese Soup in Light & Tasty February/March 2006 , p61
Reviews for Hearty Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 11, 2013
"This is a family favorite for years! I do not change a thing."
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2011
"One of our kids favorite."