- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken until no longer pink. Add the broth, water, vegetables and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, for dumplings, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cottage cheese until blended. Add water and salt. Stir in the flour and mix well.
- Bring soup to a boil. Drop dumplings by tablespoonfuls onto the boiling soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Healthy Chicken Dumpling Soup
Sort By :
"My family LOVES chicken and dumplings, but my daughter has severe Celiac disease. I have been trying to figure out a way to make dumplings without flour, that will hold up. If anyone has any suggestions please share :)"
"I've lost track of how many times I've made this. It is my go-to recipe for chicken soup. We've really enjoy the chewiness of the dumplings, but when I want something different, I've thrown in some cooked egg noodles too. I always add a bit more pepper, and I've tried adding diced potatoes and corn. If you use the whole egg, it is a much richer dumpling flavor, but we prefer just the egg whites here. All combinations have been eaten without complaint here though."
"So you bring the soup to a boil twice?"
"Sooo good!!! You would never know this is a lighter version of a comfort food classic. The soup is very flavorful and the dumplings are so moist and also very flavorful. This instantly became a family favorite."