- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken until no longer pink. Add the broth, water, vegetables and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, for dumplings, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cottage cheese until blended. Add water and salt. Stir in the flour and mix well.
- Bring soup to a boil. Drop dumplings by tablespoonfuls onto the boiling soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Healthy Chicken Dumpling Soup
"Graceful24, is it possible that you could post your recipe for dumplings? Much appreciated! Homecookinma"
"Healthy Yes! I thought it was great. My 4 kinds, 15, 14 and two 5 year olds said: boring and gross. My husband said its ok, as he politely ate a bowl."
"This is the potato dumpling recipe my German relatives always used with Sour Beef. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/61002/kartoffel-kloesse-potato-dumplings/"
"It is low fat, but much too high in sodium for one serving. I left out half the salt and it was still very good."
"I make dumplings using mashed potatoes. Then flour, butter and eggs are added. A Danish recipe passed down from my grandma. Mashed potatoes have no added ingredients. I'm away from my recipe collection so am not able to share recipe. One could use gluten free flour ...."