Ham & Asparagus Casserole Recipe
- 3-3/4 cups uncooked yolk-free whole wheat noodles
- 2-1/2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup french-fried onions
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add asparagus. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the chopped onion in butter until tender. Combine the flour, thyme and pepper; gradually whisk in milk and broth until smooth. Add milk mixture to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice.
- Drain noodles; add the ham, parsley, sauce and asparagus. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with fried onions and cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Ham & Asparagus Casserole(10)
Sort By :
Made this for dinner and the kids and hubby loved it. Was easier than I thought it might be, and easy to adjust to your tastes. I used pinko instead of fried onions. My only complaint was how many dishes I had to dirty but decided on few tips to limit like tossing veggie in with pasta and mixing flour and broth all in the skillet.
This was good but I think next time I would add more liquid as it was a little dry.
I had some ham in the fridge I was trying to use up, so I went hunting and found this recipe. It was really good! I steamed the broccoli in the veggie steamer before adding it rather than boiling it to maintain the nutrients. Then I snipped it into small pieces with kitchen shears. It was very good, and even my kids ate it.
My family and I loved this recipe. I will make it again. I used chicken instead of ham.
More Recipe Collections
- Asparagus Recipes >
- Baked Ham >
- Baked Pasta >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >