- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 pita breads (6 inches), halved, warmed
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Chill. In a large bowl, combine seasonings; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Cut patties into thin slices; stuff into pita halves. Add lettuce, tomato and onion. Serve with the yogurt sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Ground Beef Gyros
"These were good! I added lemon juice and sour cream to the sauce. I will make these again and next time try grilling them."
"Most excellent! As good as those in the grease trucks without the lamb."
"I love lamb gyros, so thought I'd try this. I used to raise my own lamb, and still have lamb in the freezer, so I substituted hamburger for ground lamb. This was really good. As I have lamb in the freezer, I've been pondering making a loaf of 'gyro meat' using Alton Brown's recipe/method, which I'm sure is very good. But it requires a lot of work & time. For me, there is no need to try attempt his recipe now, because I think this recipe is a quick, easy, delicious substitute for the real deal gyros I love. I'll be making it again, and again........"