- 3 large sweet red peppers
- 3 medium red onions
- 3 large zucchini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 submarine buns, split
- 24 slices cheddar cheese
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 cup hummus
- Cut the red peppers into eighths; cut onions and zucchini into 1/2-in. slices. Brush vegetables with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill vegetables in batches, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Cool.
- Combine the mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice and garlic; spread over bun bottoms. Layer with cheese, grilled vegetables and tomatoes. Spread hummus over bun tops; replace tops. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches
Sort By :
A-maz-ing flavor! The first vegetarian entree my husband ever raved about. I make these all year long by oven roasting the veggies (slice and toss with olive oil; spread on cookie sheet, sprinkle with garlic salt & roast in oven at 450 for 15 to 20 minutes), which locks in the flavor better than broiling them. Serve on lightly toasted ciabatta buns... delish!
What should be a healthy, nutritious sandwich is totally destroyed by the enormous amounts of fat and sodium. The mayo can be totally eliminated as well as all but a sprinkling of salt. Some or all of the cheese can also be eliminated and still produce a tasty sandwich. Try whole grain buns.
I would not make this sandwich as described because of the amount of sodium.
Delicious vegetarian sandwich. Love it!
The mayo mixture and hummus make this sandwich great!