“I have requests for this soup for lots of family events and especially deer camp. If you're in the mood for comfort food, this is the recipe for you!”—Shelly Woods, Blissfield, Michigan
- 6 cups cubed Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup real bacon bits
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine flour and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and remaining milk until cheese is melted. Add ham and bacon; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Golden Potato Soup in Simple & Delicious March/April 2008, p59
Reviews for Golden Potato and Ham Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review