- 6 cups cubed Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup real bacon bits
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine flour and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and remaining milk until cheese is melted. Add ham and bacon; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Golden Potato and Ham Soup
"OMG!! I just made this soup and it is awesome!! I didn't use the Velveeta, but rather 10 oz of shredded triple cheddar. I am certain I will make this one again!"
"Loved this soup!! Although I modified it since I'm vegetarian. Instead of water and bouillon, I used No-Chicken Broth and doubled the liquid since 2 cups didn't seem to be enough. I also skipped the ham and bacon and lightened it with 2% Velveeta and 1% milk. Might have to try using a sharp cheddar plus cream cheese (as one comment noted) next time for a little twist!"
"Quick weeknight dinner. I didn't have golden potatoes or velveeta so I used regular potatoes, cheddar cheese and 4 oz. cubed cream cheese. Omitted the bacon bits and sprinkled with fresh cut parsley. Hubby kept saying "this is really good"."
"My whole family loved this! I made it with Club Sandwiches and a fruit salad. I would make this again."
"Easy enough to make on a busy Monday evening for dinner."