These moist scones' gingerbread flavor make them just right for serving around Christmastime. They are a scrumptious treat with tea or coffee. —David Bostedt, Zephyrhills, Florida
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, separated
- Coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk molasses, milk and egg yolk until blended; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into 12 wedges. Place wedges 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white until frothy; brush over scones. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Gingerbread Scones in Taste of Home December/January 1997, p37
Reviews for Gingerbread Scones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review