Gingerbread Scones Recipe
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, separated
- Coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk molasses, milk and egg yolk until blended; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into 12 wedges. Place wedges 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white until frothy; brush over scones. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Gingerbread Scones(6)
Sort By :
I found them to be very dry. I make scones a lot and know that the dough is typically dry until you knead it, but these were dry and crumbly after baking. Would recommend adding a little more milk if you're going to make this recipe, but I agree that the spices are off. There are several other scone recipes on this website that are better than this one.
Great recipe but 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes was way too long. The bottoms burnt for me... so I will be lowering the temp and time...i always fined gingerbread of any kind doesn't take long.
I love making scones for events that I cater. This recipe was really good and uses items I have on hand. I often use a scone pan that I have that makes small triangular scones for catering. But for family and friends I make them like suggested in the recipe. Then I make a flavored butter or clotted cream to serve with them. Delicious!
this can be dry if even slightly over baked and did not have a very stong gingerbread flavor
I made these tasty scones this afternoon for a ladies gathering and received rave reviews. Everyone LOVED these! Even my 2 1/2nd old. So easy to make and very good. Perfect with afternoon tea. I made an optional glaze for the top and they were tasty with or without. Will definitely make these again!