French Meat Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine potatoes and seasonings. Roll out half of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Fill with meat mixture.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with egg if desired. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for French Meat Pie(8)
Sort By :
I only used pork & never put mashed pot. in it but I'll try this on for size!
I've made this many times in the past and have come up with some alterations. Instead of a whole onion, only use 1/2 onion. Also instead of the 2 tsp. Allspice, cut down to 1/4 tsp. to 1/2 tsp. Allspice can be an overpowering spice. Other than that very easy and very tasty.
Best meat pie ever!
Shades of childhood! This is the tortierre of my childhood. A staple at Christmas. Mom learned the recipe from my father's mother. The only difference is that she didn't use ground beef. Just pork.
I make every year for dad
Would definitely make this again....Taste just like what my grandmother used to make!