Finnish Pinwheels Recipe
- 1/2 pound pitted dried plums, chopped
- 1/2 pound pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a saucepan, combine dried plums, dates, water and sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in butter. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter as for a pie pastry. Blend in egg, cream and vanilla. Form into two balls.
- Place one ball at a time on a floured surface and roll to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into 2-in. squares. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Make 1-in. slits in corners. Place 1/2 teaspoon filling in the center of each square. Bring every other corner up into center to form a pinwheel and press lightly. Bake at 325° for 12 minutes or until the points are light golden brown. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Reviews for Finnish Pinwheels
Sort By :
"My daughters both make Finnish tarts for Christmas--better than their Finnish grandma made! And Slovenian potica as well, nicer than any I've ever seen. We're from "Da Range" in Minnesota, home to lots of Finns and Slovenians, but live in Maine and Florida these days. BTW, my daughter tried Finnish pulla for the first time this year - it was perfect!"