Favorite Cornish Pasties Recipe
Years ago, when bakeries in my Midwestern hometown made pasties, people scrambled to get there before they were all gone. Now I make my own...filled with meat, potatoes and vegetables, they make a complete meal and are great for picnics or potlucks. Gayle Lewis Yucaipa, California
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 to 9 tablespoons ice water
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the round steak, potatoes, carrots, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Add butter and toss to coat; set aside.
- For pastry, combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture forms pea-size crumbs. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Do not overmix.
- Divide dough into fourths. Roll out one portion into a 9-in. circle; transfer to a greased baking sheet. Mound about 1-1/4 cups of meat filling on half of circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over mixture and press edges with fork to seal. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- Cut slits in top of each pasty. Brush with beaten egg if desired. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cornish Pasties in Taste of Home April/May 1993, p27
Reviews for Favorite Cornish Pasties(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 13, 2010
Well I tell everyone this was excellent. This was a great meal. Easy to make when you use any pre-made dough. Thank-You for the recipe!
Reviewed Mar. 26, 2009
As a short cut for the pastry, I used Pillsbury's pie crust (found in dairy section)
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Main Dish Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >