- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 cup cubed cooked potatoes
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; add ham and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender; drain.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half the bread cubes, potatoes and cheese. Top with all of the bacon mixture. Repeat layers of bread, potatoes and cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs; add the milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over all. Cover and chill overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake, uncovered, for 65-70 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Farmer's Strata
"Solid recipe, tasty and easy to prepare. Would make again, although, next time would jazz it up a bit more with more spices and perhaps a meat with more heat (chorizo, spicy bulk sausage, etc.) Family all enjoyed as written though."
"OMG this was a huge success at our church brunch - had to give out the recipe 4 times."
"Strata's are so easy and fun to make. This is a great recipe with all the good stuff to make it hardy and tasty. You can change up the meats, leave out the potatoes or make it just as listed."
"You've got to plan ahead for this one, but it's worth the effort. It's a good way to use left over ham or bacon We use it for special occasions.."
"I prepared this delicious dish the night before and baked it before leaving for school. l will certainly make this one again. The crowd loved it."