Down Home Hush Puppies Recipe
Hush puppies is a classic side served at many get-togethers in the south. The sweet and spicy flavor has delighted friends and family for decades.Gene Pitts, Wilsonville, Alabama
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine first seven ingredients. Add egg and buttermilk; stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes. Do not stir again.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat 2-3 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Down Home Hush Puppies in Reminisce September/October 1991, p39
Reviews for Down Home Hush Puppies(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 7, 2011
I omitted the jalapenos due to my children but still very tasty. Will make again!