Janet Fant's tasty shortcake is perfect for the Fourth of July. “I love the moist, from-scratch flavor of this simple cake,” she writes from Denair, California. “It's foolproof and always brings lots of compliments.”
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- Fresh mint leaves, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Place one cake on a serving plate; top with half of the cream cheese mixture and strawberries. Repeat layers. Store in the refrigerator. Garnish with fresh mint leaves if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Deluxe Strawberry Shortcake in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p53
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Deluxe Strawberry Shortcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review