If you're a fan of okra, you'll get a kick out of this zippy smoked sausage and vegetable mix from Jill Holland of Florence, Alabama. When served over rice, this dish makes a hearty meal with generous portions.
- 1 pound reduced-fat fully cooked sausage, cut into 1-2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 4 cups frozen cut okra
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, sweet peppers and garlic in oil over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Stir in the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, lemon juice and seasonings. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add okra; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 7 minutes or just until okra is tender. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Creole Sausage and Vegetables in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p62
Reviews for Creole Sausage and Vegetables
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review