- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain and remove sausage from pan.
- In same skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper; cook, covered, 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return sausage to skillet; heat through. Drain pasta; serve with sauce. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Sausage-Mushroom Rigatoni
"Holy CRAP this is AMAZING, I made a few tweaks: I am a veggie-lover so I as the sausage was browning, I cleaned and microwaved 1/4" sliced baby carrots and a bunch of asparagus and added that in with the mushrooms. then I also added a bag of frozen peas. I forgot to pick up the heavy whipping cream so I softened an 8 oz bar of Philly Cream Cheese in 1/2 cup nonfat milk (so no calories, right?) and added that when almost all the liquid was gone from my veggie mixture - it thickened up beautifully and had great texture, too! Of course we topped ours with shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (yum!) to make it perfect. We all LOVED THIS and will absolutely make it for the in-laws next time they're in town!"
"This was good but a little blah. I added 1/2 an onion to the mushrooms and then added flour to the mushroom mixture before stirring in the cream. It thickened up nicely. My husband rated it 3.5."
"Need to add nutritional info"
"When in Rome do as the Romans, except I don't care for sausage, so I used beef. YUMMY!!"
"My wife made this dish. It was really good. The only thing we wish is that the cream sauce would have thickedned up better. HINT: You might try making a RUE first she said. Other than that it was fantastic. Thank you!!!"
"Absolutely delicious. Made this exactly as written. Husband loved, loved, loved it. Said this was the best new recipe I have ever tried and we've been married for 35 years. He also said he had to make himself stop eating it and that I needed to send this recipe to both of our daughters to make. So definitely a keeper."
"Delicious dish! Everyone in the family loved it! I used spicy turkey Italian sausage & FF Half & Half (in place of the cream)."
"DELISH! I added a can of diced tomatoes & some dried basil, decreased the cream to 1 cup because the tomatoes had liquid in them. This is a fantastic basic recipe that I'll be varying by adding whatever veggies I have on hand."
"I've made this twice now. Very good and very easy to make!"