Makeover Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 3/4 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage, red pepper and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain and return to the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, half-and-half, milk, wine or chicken broth, cheese, salt, pepper and paprika until blended. Add to the sausage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Drain pasta. In a large bowl, combine sausage mixture and pasta. Before serving, sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 343 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 reduced-fat milk.
Dec 15, 2015
Sounds good but very confusing recipe. Do you use all of the 1 C. FF Half & Half, 1 C. Milk, Wine and Chicken broth or do you choose one of these to use? The way it is worded it sounds like you are to pick one of these. Maybe that is why some say it was too thin because they used all of these ingredients.
May 18, 2015
This was just ok. I asked my husband if it was a keeper and we both shook our heads no.
May 6, 2013
I also added garden fresh chopped tomatoes.
Apr 14, 2013
Great recipe, has a really rich creamy sauce, very filling and won't ruin my diet!
Jan 31, 2013
Made with one can of drained diced tomatoes (with onion and celery) instead of red pepper. Used rice wine instead of chicken broth. Was amazing!
Oct 18, 2011
Delicious and easy to make. Used lower sodium chicken broth and did not add salt
May 4, 2011
I make this all the time with gluten-free pasta and corn starch to thicken. So good!
Aug 20, 2010
Very good, but I thought the sauce was a little thin. Next time I'll tinker with that part.
Jul 22, 2009
This was scrumptious!! I used regular Italian Sausages instead of Turkey, and I preferred the wine option. Absolutely delicious!
Nov 19, 2008
So good! One I will be making again for sure! Thanks!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.