- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage (3 pounds) , shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven, combine the broth, celery, cabbage, onion and carrot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Combine cream and milk; gradually add to flour mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Add ham and thyme and heat through. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Creamed Cabbage Soup
Sort By :
we make this every year for New Years. The only thing we change is mix a little jalapeno juice in with the chicken broth and diced jalapenos with the cabbage and cook. We like a little kick with our soup! My dad hates cabbage, and loves this soup. So good!
I make this soup a few times each winter. My family absolutely love it. for a neat twist that kids love, switch out the green cabbage with red cabbage. Then this tasty soup becomes Purple Soup.
This soup was a big hit with my husband and I. The only substitution that I made was instead of 2 cans of chicken broth, I used 1 can of chicken broth and 1 can of vegetable broth. Delicious and satisfying!
will try sausage next time.