- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 1% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add the broccoli, tarragon, thyme and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Add milk; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; heat through. Reduce heat. Add 1 cup of cheese; stir just until melted. Serve immediately. Garnish with remaining cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Cream of Broccoli Cheese Soup
"My Foods and Nutrition class made this soup, I monitored the group and taste tested it. It was easy enough to make, they didn't want to blend it so you could see the whole pieces of broccoli. Upon taste testing it, I wasn't a fan of something in it, I think the tarragon maybe. It needed salt. The texture was great, and it looked great. In the future I would leave out the tarragon and just add salt or garlic salt."
"It was a little too "greeen" for my liking."
"Decided to make this on a snowy day when school was closed. My oldest daughter and I worked together in getting the soup on, and my other 3 children helped eat it. We all enjoyed it, and left a bowl for the husband. Even our furbaby enjoyed the little that fell to the floor. Would recommend it to everyone who loves broccoli."