Sour Cream Broccoli Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 bunch broccoli (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add the water, broth, carrots, mustard, cumin and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel broccoli stalks and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Coarsely chop florets. Add to onion mixture; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan and heat through. Dollop each serving with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 123 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 478mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Aug 19, 2016
I gave it five stars. Easy to prepare, hearty, and delicious! So good I'd triple the recipe next time I make it.
Nov 6, 2012
I'd like it a little more thick but it was easy to make and healthy.
Jan 10, 2010
This was very good and very easy. I used the broccoli stalks that are usually thrown away and chopped small. Added a little black pepper and omitted the cumin. Very simple, very good. My husband wanted more but it only made 3 decent size servings.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.