Cranberry-Apple Lattice Pie Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup cold shortening
- 5 to 7 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 6 medium baking apples, such as Fuji or Braeburn (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk or heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine currants and rum; let stand for 20 minutes.
- Place 3/4 cup cranberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor; pulse until cranberries are coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the apples, tapioca, lemon juice, lemon peel, cinnamon, remaining sugar and currant mixture; toss to combine. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Place remaining cranberries in spaces between lattice strips.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon; set aside. In another bowl, whisk egg and milk; brush over lattice top. Sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Bake on a lower oven rack at 400° for 25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes; serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cranberry-Apple Lattice Pie(5)
Sort By :
A recipe to be proud of! Not just delicious, pretty to look at! The apples give it sweetness and the cranberries add tartness and color.
This pie turned out beautiful! Loved how the sweet and sour went together so well.
This was delicious! Sweet and tart in all the right spots. I served it a la mode!
I wrote the review under the wrong recipe, Sorry!
This recipe is awesome!!! But before I rolled the burritos, I added sour cream, onions, and tomatoes. We will be having this again!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Cranberry Pie >
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Pie >
- Apple Pie Crust >
- Apple Pie Recipes >
- Apple Pie Recipes with Fresh Apples >
- Apple Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cranberry Apple Pie >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fresh Cranberry Recipes >
- Fruit Pie Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >