Contest-Winning New England Clam Chowder Recipe
- 4 center-cut bacon strips
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half, divided
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, water, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in clams and remaining half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Crumble the reserved bacon; sprinkle over each serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Contest-Winning New England Clam Chowder
Sort By :
"I have been using the same chowder recipe for years and decided to try this one last night. I am so glad I did. It was absolutely delicious. I added extra garlic and carrots. I also used three cans of clams. I used one cup of half and half, as recommended by other reviewers, and the consistency of the chowder was perfect."
"Great! I used fresh clams though."
"I remember growing up in Hoquiam, Washington and having fresh razor clams when we were allowed to dig for the season. Living in Tennessee now it is not the same but making clam chowder is like being back home. Instead of using bacon in my clam chowder I use smoked jowl to saute my onions in. Next week I will be making this for my daughter's Tae Kwon Do masters. Since they are from Korea I am trying my best to cook things for their taste and when I mentioned clam chowder Master Park licked his lips and said he can't wait. I love cooking for them because so far I have not had one complaint from them about my cooking in American, Korean, Chinese and Italian Dishes."
"This makes a good chowder base but using canned clams and bottled juice leaves little clam flavor. Use fresh salty clams and you can skip the boullion."
"Delish!Will be making this often this winterI did had a handful of shrimp, too."