Tres Leche means "three milk." This cake gets its name because it uses three kinds of milk—evaporated, condensed and cream. This cake's light and airy texture has made it a classic in Mexican kitchens for generations. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: Classic Cake Recipes Made from Scratch
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Sliced fresh strawberries and dulce de leche, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Line bottom of a 9-in. springform pan with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In another large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Fold in flour, a third at a time.
- Add salt to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a third of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Gently spread into prepared pan.
- Bake until top springs back when lightly touched, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place cake on a rimmed serving plate. Poke holes in top with a skewer. In a small bowl, mix cream, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and extracts; brush slowly over cake. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours.
- For topping, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until peaks form. Spread over top of cake. If desired, top with strawberries and dulce de leche just before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Tres Leches Cake in Taste of Home Clip Strip 2005
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Classic Tres Leches Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 30, 2016
"So delicious doesn't need changed at all!!"