Classic Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced celery (1-inch lengths)
- In an oven-proof Dutch oven, brown beef in batches in oil; drain. Return all meat to the pan. Add onions, tomatoes, broth, tapioca, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Cover stew and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Stir in carrots, potatoes and celery. Bake, covered, 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Classic Beef Stew
Sort By :
"I made this the other night. It was awesome. Great flavor and pretty easy. I did not cook in oven, just my stove top and cooked it a little longer. Got two thumbs up around the table. Thanks for sharing!"
"Made this with some changes based on my pantry. Here are the changes- put some flour on meat before cooking. Added all meat back in and then cooked with the onions. Then added the tomatoes, CHICKEN Broth. Didn't have tapioca so added 2 tablespoons of brown gravy mix. Added then 1/4 cup basalmic vinegar and 3/4 cup water. Used all the rest of the ingredients and brought to a boil. Followed the rest of the recipe as listed. Definitely would make again."
"I've made this several times now, and we love it!"
"Very good and meaty. I didn't have tapioca so I didn't add that, but followed the rest of the recipe to the letter. I might add a little V8 juice to the stew next time to give it a little more of a tomatoey flavor, but it really is wonderful as is."
"I made this tonight. I didn't have the can of diced tomatoes so I used fresh chopped tomatoes and a small can of V8 juice. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly. This was so good. Even my picky son ate it all up. I served it with a crusty French bread. A green salad would also be a good accompaniment."