Spicy sausage, herbs and vegetables fill this egg casserole with hearty flavor. I like to make it for my family's Christmas breakfast, but it's delicious anytime of day! —Debbie Carter, O'Fallon, Illinois
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and chopped, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- Fresh rosemary sprigs, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the red peppers and all the spinach.
- In a bowl, combine flour, Parmesan cheese, basil and salt. Combine eggs and milk; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Pour over spinach.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Sprinkle with provolone cheese and remaining red peppers. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Garnish with rosemary if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Christmas Breakfast Casserole in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p11
Reviews for Christmas Breakfast Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review