- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and chopped, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- Fresh rosemary sprigs, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the red peppers and all the spinach.
- In a bowl, combine flour, Parmesan cheese, basil and salt. Combine eggs and milk; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Pour over spinach.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Sprinkle with provolone cheese and remaining red peppers. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Garnish with rosemary if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Christmas Breakfast Casserole
Sort By :
"Excellent! I am not a fan of all those breakfast casseroles that call for some sort of bread or crouton additions. This is so not that! I'd describe it as more of a quiche without the crust. I followed directions as written, but I put all the roasted red pepper in with the spinach instead of some on top. Didn't see the need. Also, I layered sliced provolone on top at the end, as that was all I could find. Worked just fine. Extra yummy reheated the next day. Be careful not to burn the bottom."
"This was very good; took much longer than 20-25 min. for knife to come out clean, so I'll try using a bigger dish next time."
"To ggakate, both cheeses are used, the parm mixed with the eggs and the provolone on toptowards the end of baking..."
"I love breakfast casserole. The texture is good when I eat it so I recommend to my friends to try it and they loved it too thanks for the taste of home so that right I give you 4 stars"
"I loved this breakfast casserole, the only thing I did different was cook the sausage, roasted red peppers, onions and spinach all together, then poured the egg mixture over it and then baked it. Now way was it "bland". My family loved it, and I will make it again."