Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 jars (8 ounces each) maraschino cherries with stems , well drained
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, butter, milk and extract. Knead until smooth and pliable. Shape into 1-in. balls and flatten each into a 2-in. circle.
- Wrap one circle around each cherry and lightly roll in hands. Place with stems up on waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Cover loosely and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Holding on to the stems, dip cherries into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper until set. Store in a covered container. Refrigerate 1-2 weeks before serving. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Covered Cherries
Sort By :
"ok just made these so I'm not sure how the cherries taste however I had some dough left over and decided to add a little orange extract then shape into squares and dip in chocolate. Yum yum. The flavors of the dough are exactly what you would expect inside a chocolate covered cherry. Probably better. Can't wait for a week or two to pass so I can taste the cherries. It was so easy to work with. Looks a lot harder than it is."
"I love how easy these are to make! Easy and Delicious! I omitted the shortening, and the chocolate held fine. Thank you for the recipe!"
"I made these and everyone loved them!"
"Hi , I made these but with a twist , for an adult party I soaked the Maraschino cherries in brandy for 3 days & then drained them covered them & dipped in chocolate some milk ,some white & dark put cayenne peper on the dark for a kick wow were they tasty .... Sue ~ Indianola PA"
"I made these twice, and both times, they were gone almost immediately (with requests for more!!!) MUCH better than the store-bought ones!"