Applesauce adds moistness to this tender cake with a sweet chocolate and nut topping. "It's breeze to make and perfect for picnics," comments Sue Braunschweig of Delafield, Wisconsin.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with applesauce. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Applesauce Cake in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p53
Reviews for Chocolate Applesauce Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review