- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- In a large saucepan, saute the squash, carrot, onion and cumin in oil for 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add 1-1/2 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender; cool slightly.
- Transfer mixture to a blender; add the tomatoes, cream cheese, basil, chipotle pepper and remaining broth. Cover and process for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan; stir in the beans, corn and spinach. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted and soup is heated through. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup
Sort By :
Love love loved it!
Soup was delicious and very filling. The chipotle pepper in adobe sauce provided just a hint of spicy heat -- just right for us. Will definitely make again.
Delicious! I was looking for a recipe to use butternut squash my In-laws gave me from their garden. This tasted great for a cold winter night. I only used one chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (found it in the Mexican foods in the grocery store), I might use two next time for a little more heat. My husband loved it so I will be making it again.
We really liked this variation on squash soup. I could not find the chipotle pepper in adoble. I substituted with some chili powder and paprika. Nice and flavourful.
My family thought this soup was delicious and just the right amount of spice with the cumin and 1 chipotle pepper just like the recipe. I did not have any vegetable broth on hand so I used chicken broth. I'm not sure if that would make much difference in the taste but we really enjoyed it. I will make it again for sure.