- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inches), torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup salsa
- In a saucepan, bring the broth, onion and celery to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Place in a large bowl; add chicken, tortillas, soup, chilies, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with salsa and remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chicken Tortilla Casserole(9)
Sort By :
As a "not-so-healthy" splurge meal, I was a bit disappointed as this dish wasn't super impressive. Good for one meal, but not a "keeper" recipe.
I am a young wife and mother, and I'm always looking for different recipes to try. I came across this one today and tried it. My family absolutely loved it!! I sent a picture to my mom and she wants the recipe!! I altered a little bit though. I didn't use celery; I used more chicken broth and more cheese; I didn't use chiles; and I didn't quite measure anything... I just kept adding stuff until I though it looked right... Thank you!!
My Brooklyn apartment is generally a vegetarian household, but, given the February dreariness and lack of sunlight, I just craved this casserole dish that frequented school functions when I was growing up in Illinois. I replaced the flour tortillas with some local corn tortillas, left out the celery and added cilantro and finely-minced stems, added a bit of cumin and Mexican oregano and chopped smoked black olives, and used a store-bought salsa verde (half Frontera and half Brooklyn Salsa Company) to top and it was amazing. This is an excellent, solid, fool-proof recipe to play around with to your liking, and I can't thank the submitter enough for sharing it. :)
Fast and easy. I halved the recipe and used tortilla chips.
Delicious. I added a can of black beans. Will make again.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Casserole >
- Chicken Casserole Recipes >
- Chicken Casseroles >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >