Fresh early-spring asparagus and a hint of lemon dress up this tasty chicken main dish shared by ReBecca Vandiver of Bethany, Oklahoma. TIP: To round out the meal, ReBecca serves with a fresh salad and toasted garlic bread.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch diagonal pieces)
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, divided
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, asparagus, rice mix with contents of seasoning packet and 2 tablespoons butter. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute chicken and salt in remaining butter until chicken is no longer pink. Add the carrot, lemon juice, garlic and lemon peel if desired; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until carrot is crisp-tender. Stir into rice mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Rice Dish in Simple & Delicious March/April 2006, p23
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chicken Rice Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review