Turmeric lends flavor and a pretty golden color to this Spanish-style entree from our Test Kitchen. Haven’t tried Arborio rice? You’ll love its creamy texture.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1/2 pound), cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken, ham, onion and red pepper in 2 teaspoons oil until chicken is browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- In the same skillet, saute rice in remaining oil until lightly browned. Stir in the turmeric, cumin, garlic and salt. Return meat and vegetables to pan; toss lightly. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in peas. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Paella in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008, p63
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Paella
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review