I love Chicken Marsala, but most recipes do not serve a crowd. This version is one I invented and make enough for 12 people.—Debbie Shannon, Ringgold, Georgia
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup marsala wine, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained
- Mix 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and salt; sprinkle over chicken. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; saute until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, cook onion in butter over medium heat 2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms; cook until tender, 4-5 minutes longer. Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, 1/2 cup wine and pepper; bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and remaining wine until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in ham and chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine ricotta cheese, spinach, Italian cheese blend, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, eggs and remaining Italian seasoning. Spread 1 cup chicken mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, about 3/4 cup chicken mixture and about 1 cup ricotta mixture. Repeat layers three times.
Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked lasagna; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover lasagna with foil; bake as directed, increasing covered time to 45-50 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Marsala Lasagna in Easy Italian Cookbook 2013 2013
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Chicken Marsala Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 15, 2015
"What type of Marsala wine, dry or sweet? Please clarify."