Chicken Chop Suey Recipe
"This is my favorite stir-fry dish," says Arleen Gibson of Simcoe, Ontario. "It's so versatile because you can change the meat or veggies to suit your taste...or according to what's in the refrigerator."
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 3 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound small fresh mushrooms
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups canned bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine soy sauce and brown sugar; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry onions and garlic in oil until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Add celery, mushrooms and green pepper to skillet; stir-fry 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove with slotted spoon to bowl. Add chicken and marinade to skillet; stir-fry for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is no long pink. Return vegetables to skillet.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the bean sprouts, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice if desired.
Originally published as Chicken Chop Suey in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p8
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Chicken Chop Suey(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 3, 2012
My family really enjoyed this dish; it was flavorful and filling. We added broccoli and carrots.
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Stir Fry >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >