- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 3 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound small fresh mushrooms
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups canned bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine soy sauce and brown sugar; add the chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry onions and garlic in oil until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Add celery, mushrooms and green pepper to skillet; stir-fry 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove with slotted spoon to bowl. Add chicken and marinade to skillet; stir-fry for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is no long pink. Return vegetables to skillet.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the bean sprouts, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice if desired.
This recipe pairs well with a medium white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Protea Chenin Blanc South Africa 2011. Honeysuckle and pear, with a hint of lemon, makes this perfect with any fish or chicken dish. Buy now and get 2 bottles for $29.99. Order Now
Reviews for Chicken Chop Suey
Sort By :
Haven't made this recipe yet... but sure would be nice if you could add a photo of the finished meal. I only added a Rating because your site won't allow submission of my Comment without a 'Rating', so this rating is not a true reflection of anything. I was simply requesting a photo to the recipe. I never buy cookbooks which have no pictures.
My family really enjoyed this dish; it was flavorful and filling. We added broccoli and carrots.