Chicken Burritos Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 8 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 24 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in tomatoes, seasonings and, if desired, jalapeno. Cook 5 minutes. Add chili and cream cheese; stir until cream cheese is melted. Stir in chicken.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup filling across center of each tortilla; sprinkle each with 1/4 cup Colby-Monterey Jack cheese. Fold bottom and sides over filling and roll up. Place in two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes.
- Bake, covered, 35-40 minutes or until heated through. If desired, serve with salsa. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chicken Burritos(12)
Sort By :
FABULOUS FILLING! I did make the entire recipe with the exception of using only half can of chili with beans and 10 8" tortillas (for one casserole dish). I didn't put cheese inside burritos. I chose to top stuffed burritos with a thin layer of salsa and heavy layer of Mexican blend cheese. With the remaining mixture I chose to make a Mexican chicken soup. To mixture I added- 2 cups chicken broth, remaining half can of chili w/beans, and 1 cup of corn. Bring to boil. Simmer for 20 min. Pour soup over tortilla chips and top with lettuce, shredded cheese and a dap of sour cream. YUMMO!
I split this into three pans of 8 burritos for my smaller family.
My Husband and 2 teenage boys absolutely LOVE these!! As a working Mom they take more time than I usually spend on a weekday, but so totally worth it, especially since the is another nights dinner in the freezer!!
I cut the recipe in half and used black beans instead of canned chili. This recipe has nice flavor but I prefer a drier filling for my burritos.
I cut the recipe in half as we are a family of 3 and have no freezer space. This is definitely a keeper Mexican recipe. Used the jalapeno which gave it a nice little kick and Mexican cheese rather than Colby-Monterey Jack. Brought leftovers for my coworkers for lunch and they loved it as well.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Burritos >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mexican Chicken Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >