This mouthwatering Southwestern recipe makes enough for two casseroles, so you can enjoy one today and freeze th other for a busy weeknight. "These burritos are super to have on hand for quick meals or to take to potlucks" —Sonya Nightingale, Burley, Idaho.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 8 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 24 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in tomatoes, seasonings and, if desired, jalapeno. Cook 5 minutes. Add chili and cream cheese; stir until cream cheese is melted. Stir in chicken.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup filling across center of each tortilla; sprinkle each with 1/4 cup Colby-Monterey Jack cheese. Fold bottom and sides over filling and roll up. Place in two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes.
Bake, covered, 35-40 minutes or until heated through. If desired, serve with salsa.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casserole with foil; bake as directed, increasing baking time to 50-55 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 160°. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Originally published as Chicken Burritos in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p62
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chicken Burritos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review