- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil, letting ends extend up sides; grease foil.
- Combine flour and brown sugar; cut in shortening until fine crumbs form. Stir in 1/2 cup nuts and coconut. Set aside 1/2 cup crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture into prepared pan. Bake until lightly browned, 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Spread over hot crust. Bake 15 minutes. Spread pie filling on top. Combine remaining nuts and reserved crumbs; sprinkle over cherries. Bake 15 minutes more. Cool. Lifting with foil, remove mixture from pan. Cut into bars. Refrigerate. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Chewbilees
"I also made this desert for a bible study at my home. Everyone liked it. One friend said it was an explosion of flavor on his tounge. Great desert, like cherry cheese cake in a pan. Yum!"
"I absolutely loved these bars....So did the kids so that makes it a win win for me."
"I have had this recipe for some time and it is always a hit each time I make it. Recently made it for my Bible Study class, it was all eaten and three people asked for the recipe. And yes, go with the walnuts. You won't be sorryl. Sooooooo Good!"
"The crust made with chopped walnuts is so so much better than with graham crackers."