- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped
- In a saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; set potatoes and liquid aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute ham and onion in butter until onion is tender. Stir in the flour and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese, broccoli and reserved potatoes; cook and stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup
"This is a keeper! I had no broccoli so I added chopped celery & carrots to my onion mixture for a bit of nutrition and color. Great on a cold night."
"This soup was delicious, I added bouillon cubes as the potatoes boiled. I was on the fence about the broccoli but I chopped it finely and tossed it in. It made the soup look pretty."
"My sister-in-law whipped this together during a recent visit to her house on a bitter cold day. I was impressed how she was able to make a soup from scratch in such a short period of time. The soup was hearty, delicious, and cozy. She had copied the recipe down from the magazine so I quickly looked it up on the Taste of Home website when I returned home because I know I'll be making it for my family."
"How can I submit a photo of this ez yummy soup? I can't thank u enough for sharing this creamy potato soup recipe. I was able to start it an hour before dinner time & was able to prepare & cook it in plenty of time. Quick, easy & yum!"
"I just tried this recipe tonight and it was a big hit at my house! I love it because it has the 3 qualities I love the most about a meal...cheap, easy to make, and it tastes good! My son made me promise to save the left overs so that he could eat them tomorrow and also made me promise that I would make this again! The only way I altered the recipe was I didn't use broccoli since I have some picky eaters, and I added a little bit more cheese."
"I'll be making this as one of my 3 soups for our Christmas get-together but I'll add sour cream and garnish with crisp potato shreds. Will use the corn rather than broccoli also since more child friendly and perhaps use a bit of parsley for color. I also use homemade chicken broth rather than water for added depth. I'm rating this 4 stars as it takes the additions to make it a 5!"
"I altered it slightly. Instead of broccoli I used corn, instead of the 1 c of reserved cooking liquid I used cream of chicken soup, and instead of shredded cheddar cheese I used Velveeta cheese cubed. I also added a little chili powder for a little spice. Served it with biscuits and the whole family loved it:)"
"My grandmother found this recipe for me when I needed it for a soup-potluck, we fell in love with it while making it! It's incredibly aromatic and tasty!"
"Really simple recipe that is delicious!"
"Easy, and picky eater approved! Some of us don't like broccoli, so I add a can of corn instead."