- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped
- In a saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; set potatoes and liquid aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute ham and onion in butter until onion is tender. Stir in the flour and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese, broccoli and reserved potatoes; cook and stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup
"This is a keeper! I had no broccoli so I added chopped celery & carrots to my onion mixture for a bit of nutrition and color. Great on a cold night."
"This soup was delicious, I added bouillon cubes as the potatoes boiled. I was on the fence about the broccoli but I chopped it finely and tossed it in. It made the soup look pretty."
"My sister-in-law whipped this together during a recent visit to her house on a bitter cold day. I was impressed how she was able to make a soup from scratch in such a short period of time. The soup was hearty, delicious, and cozy. She had copied the recipe down from the magazine so I quickly looked it up on the Taste of Home website when I returned home because I know I'll be making it for my family."
"How can I submit a photo of this ez yummy soup? I can't thank u enough for sharing this creamy potato soup recipe. I was able to start it an hour before dinner time & was able to prepare & cook it in plenty of time. Quick, easy & yum!"
"I just tried this recipe tonight and it was a big hit at my house! I love it because it has the 3 qualities I love the most about a meal...cheap, easy to make, and it tastes good! My son made me promise to save the left overs so that he could eat them tomorrow and also made me promise that I would make this again! The only way I altered the recipe was I didn't use broccoli since I have some picky eaters, and I added a little bit more cheese."