Since New Jersey is the Garden State, I think this recipe represents our region. This dish uses a lot of vegetables out of the garden.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut eggplant into 1/4-in.-thick slices. Place in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, beat eggs. Dip eggplant into eggs, then coat with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in 2 tablespoons oil for 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In the same skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and mushrooms in remaining oil for 5 minutes or until pepper and onion are crisp-tender. Sprinkle over eggplant. Top with tomatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Place cheese slices over the top. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until cheese is lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Eggplant Bake in Country Extra September 2001, p51
Reviews for Cheesy Eggplant Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review