- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 8 ounces)
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water or additional chicken stock
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 small round bread loaves (about 8 ounces each)
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion and garlic until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in broccoli, carrot, stock, cream and seasonings; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Cut a slice off the top of each bread loaf; hollow out bottoms, leaving 1/4-in.-thick shells (save removed bread for another use). Fill with soup just before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Broccoli Soup in a Bread Bowl
"This lives up to its name as a cheesy broccoli cheese soup. I personally can't get enough broccoli, but this was tasty and exactly as advertised. My husband really loved it. The nutmeg seems unusual but adds a nice, complex flavor."
"It's not my favorite....a little cheesy for me. But it was fun to put together and I liked the bread bowl."
"Just made this for dinner. So delicious!!! Tastes like it could be from Panera, or any restaurant! I was hesitant to add the nutmeg & bay leaf, but I followed the recipe exactly & it is great! Will be making this again!"
"This recipe was easy to make and tasted great. I made it exactly as specified in the recipe. My husband and I both enjoyed it. The leftovers tasted just as good as the night it was prepared. I will definitely make this again."
"Easy to make and tastes delicious. You can also use frozen broccoli florets if you don't have fresh."
"Yummy!! This can also be made as cauliflower soup, equally as good!! I don't add garlic, just my preference."
"My husband and I really loved this soup recipe. The only change I made was to not use the bay leaves. This was a personal choice as I find bay leaves overpower the natural flavours."
"Was looking for a hearty soup to make for lunch at the cabin. This is wonderful! Followed recipe and topped with crumbled bacon. Will definitely make again!"