As retired farmers, my husband and I enjoy delicious, down-home foods. These onions and beets have just the right amount of sweetness, so they complement a variety of main dishes.—Violet Klause, Onoway, Alberta
- 4 pounds whole fresh beets (about 12 medium), trimmed and cleaned
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place beets in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; cool slightly. Peel and quarter beets; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender; add sugar and vinegar. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the beets, salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid to skillet; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Caramelized Onions and Beets in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p116
Reviews for Caramelized Onions and Beets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 14, 2016
"What an outstanding way to serve beets! We loved the sweet flavor and I look forward to making this recipe again and again!"
Reviewed Sep. 23, 2012
"The absolute best beet recipe! I have made this once a week all summer."
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2011
"great way to cook beets!!!!"