As retired farmers, my husband and I enjoy delicious, down-home foods. These onions and beets have just the right amount of sweetness, so they complement a variety of main dishes.—Violet Klause, Onoway, Alberta
- 4 pounds whole fresh beets (about 12 medium), trimmed and cleaned
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place beets in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; cool slightly. Peel and quarter beets; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender; add sugar and vinegar. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add the beets, salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid to skillet; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Caramelized Onions and Beets in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p116
Reviews for Caramelized Onions and Beets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 23, 2012
"The absolute best beet recipe! I have made this once a week all summer."
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2011
"great way to cook beets!!!!"