Caramel Apple Strudel Recipe
- 5 medium apples, peeled and chopped (5 cups)
- 3/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1/4 cup fat-free caramel ice cream topping
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream and additional caramel ice cream topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Unfold puff pastry onto a large sheet of parchment paper; roll into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Transfer paper and pastry to a baking sheet, placing a short side of the rectangle facing you. Using a slotted spoon, arrange apples on bottom half of pastry to within 1 in. of edges. Drizzle apples with caramel topping. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with the bottom side. Pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg with water; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut slits in top. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, serve with whipped cream and additional caramel topping. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Caramel Apple Strudel(11)
Sort By :
I will use less apple juice next time. Evidently I should not have included the juice when putting the apple on the bottom half of pastry. The juice ran out as I was rolling the pastry up. The crust also turned out rather gooey.
This is a delicious apple dessert. One little tip: Be sure to use Parchment Paper! The dough is very sticky!
This was surprising easy to put together with the frozen pastry and really tasty. I will definitely make again!
Soooo gooood!!!! This recipe is a keeper. I prefer to put the caramel on top instead of inside. That way everyone can choose how much they want. I made a couple of these babies and put them in the freezer to pull out for the holidays.
while in the oven, the apple cinnamon smell is all over the house! I didn't have apple juice in the house so microwaved an apple with a little water and used that. I agree to only use about 2 T as it does get a little watery. very easy to make using the puff pastry
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Recipes >
- Apple Strudel >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Mother's Day Pastry Recipes >
- Mother's Day Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Apple Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Comfort Food Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Desserts >