- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old cinnamon bread
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugar and pie spice. Arrange half of the bread slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with apples; drizzle with half of the caramel sauce. Sprinkle with pecans; top with remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and vanilla. Pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining caramel sauce.
- Remove strata from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- In a microwave, heat the reserved sauce. Drizzle warm sauce over strata. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Caramel Apple Strata
Sort By :
"This is SO good, you just want to want to keep eating, BUT it's SO rich that that would not be a good idea!"
"Loved this! Note to self, keep the extra caramel sauce in the sauce pan when I refrigerate it. I do not have a microwave, and I put the sauce in a Tupperware. It was hard as a rock and I couldn't get it out of the container to warm it up! Lol! Didn't think about that! The extra drizzle wasn't missed though.....this is yummy!!!!"
"If they had been available, I would have given it more stars. It was a big hit with my family and co-workers."
"How can you go wrong with cinnamon, apple, nuts and caramel? This was very good. I like that it can be made the night before, making it a perfect autumn dessert when company is coming for dinner."
"I put it all in the crockpot on low for 2 1/2 hours and served it like a bread pudding. I left out the nuts due to a family member with allergies."