Campfire Bean 'N' Ham Soup Recipe
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 small onions
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham (1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place beans in an ovenproof Dutch oven; add enough water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Chop one onion; slice second onion and separate into rings. Set onions aside. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the pan. Add reserved onions; stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover pan and place on the grill rack over indirect medium heat.
- Cover grill; cook for 1 hour or until beans are almost tender. Uncover Dutch oven; cover grill and cook 30 minutes longer or until beans are tender. Discard ham hocks. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Campfire Bean 'N' Ham Soup(5)
Sort By :
This was excellent! I did have to finish cooking until the beans were soft on top of the stove & added about 4 more cups of water at that time. Also, I used 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke since I was making it in a cast iron dutch oven with a lid in the oven on 350 instead of using the grill.
I love ham and bean soup but have been trying to cut back on fat and calories. I was having a hard time finding a lighter version of this recipe and finally found this one. Generally speaking, I will make a recipe as is for the first time and then make any adjustments from there. However, I don't have a grill and really wanted to try this recipe. I started it on the stove top and finished it off in the oven. I have to say it was absolutely excellent. It might be missing the smoky flavor you would get by making it on the grill but perhaps this could be compensated for by using some liquid smoke (which I will try adding when I make this again). Yummie!!!!
excellent soup . . . I did it on the stove and let it simmer. Before I served it, I brought it to a boil and put in the veggies so they didn't get soggy. I would definitely make this again!
Very easy to make and very tasty.
I made this soup for supper tonight March 23 and we really like it. This is definetly a keeper. The only thing I didn't put in was the celery.
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >