- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon peel and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over top of cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for California Lemon Pound Cake
Sort By :
"Delicious! It turned out so moist an flavorful. Was a great treat on a hot summer night."
"Great lemon flavor! Will do again!"
"I didn't grease my pan enough, so my cake came out like Frankenstein's monster... but it tastes phenomenal. I made zero modifications to the recipe."
"I've made lemon pound cake before but never with frosting....can't wait to try this !!!"