California Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon peel and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over top of cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for California Lemon Pound Cake
Sort By :
"I didn't grease my pan enough, so my cake came out like Frankenstein's monster... but it tastes phenomenal. I made zero modifications to the recipe."
"I've made lemon pound cake before but never with frosting....can't wait to try this !!!"
"I've made this cake for years, but I make it with orange juice and orange peel, rather than lemons as my husband isn't a lemon fan. Every time I take the cake somewhere I'm always asked for the recipe! One of these days I'll have to try it with lemons!"
"I used half stevia and half sugar. Also omitted the shortening and half the butter and used 1/2 cup of natural applesauce. Used fresh lemon juice instead of extract. This cuts out a considerable amount of calories and fat. I don't know what the original taste like but this was delicious. Instead of the frosting I made a fresh blueberry sauce and drizzled over slices with fresh blueberries. Everyone raved over it."