Turkey with gravy makes divine comfort food that reminds me of old-time diners on the East Coast. Happily, my gravy is not from a can. —Chris Schwester, Divide, Colorado
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 pounds sliced deli turkey
- 12 slices white bread
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, parsley and seasonings until blended; gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add turkey, one slice at a time; heat through. Serve over bread. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Blue Plate Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich in Taste of Home June/July 2015
Reviews for Blue Plate Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2015
"I tested this recipe when I received my June/July 2015 issue. I did adjust the recipe as follows: I used 1/4 cup butter, 1 small onion, chopped, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. crushed Italian seasonings,1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth, about 3 cups Cubed, cooked rotisserie-style chicken in place of the deli-style turkey. I omitted the bread and served this dish with prepared packaged mashed potatoes. Adding the Worcestershire sauce & LESS chicken broth worked well for me-that way, I found the sauce for this dish NOT watered down for me! (I've had to learn to just add enough liquid so the sauce won't scorch, yet NOT so much liquid that I get a watery sauce! I'm glad that I tried this recipe! I found it to be tasty and quick! Thank you for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home!delowenstein"
Reviewed May. 23, 2015
"Fast and tasty."