Black-Hearted Candy Apples Recipe
- 4 medium red apples
- 4 Popsicle or decorative lollipop sticks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- Red food coloring
- Black food coloring
- Wash and dry apples; remove stems. Insert Popsicle sticks into apples. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat and pour into two small bowls; stir 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and red food coloring in one bowl. Stir black food coloring and remaining cinnamon into other bowl.
- Working quickly, dip apples into hot sugar mixtures to completely coat. Place on prepared baking sheet; let stand until set. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Black-Hearted Candy Apples in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p239
Reviews for Black-Hearted Candy Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review