Colorful Candied Apples
The glossy candy coating on these old-fashioned apples is hard, so it's best to lick them like a lollipops or cut 'em into wedges to serve. Be sure your apples are clean and dry before dipping. —Agnes Ward, Stratford, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 4 medium apples
- 4 wooden pop sticksor decorative lollipop sticks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon white food coloring
- 1 teaspoon orange food coloring
- Wash and thoroughly dry apples; remove stems. Insert pop sticks into apples. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in food colorings. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage).
- Remove from heat. Working quickly, dip apples into hot sugar mixture to completely coat. Place on prepared baking sheet; let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 candy apple: 634 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 166g carbohydrate (161g sugars, 4g fiber), 0 protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.